Are you currently living or studying in Portsmouth and have a role as a student leader? Aged 14 – 17* (Year 10 – Year 13)?
Then here is your chance to develop your leadership skills to the next level.
Exclusively available for current student leaders (prefects, student ambassadors, head students, student union members etc), the Portsmouth Student Leaders Fellowship is a part residential programme that could be your chance to develop your leadership skills, explore democratic principles, connect with inspirational leaders from Politics, The Media, Business and campaigners both locally and nationally. You will also get the opportunity to develop and deliver your own campaign around something you are passion about, whilst using the weekends to develop your skills which will support your campaign delivery. On top of this, the programme is led by two Unloc staff who have experience with leadership and campaigning so can provide full support for your campaign.
As part of the fellowship, there may be the chance to connect with companies such as Sky, The Royal Navy, local MPs, politicians and Portsmouth Football Club. Although these are all to be confirmed.
How does the fellowship work?
The Fellowship runs over 4 weekends from February – July, with each weekend having a different theme. The best thing is, it is completely free!
1) Team building & Understanding power – a 2 night residential taking part in activities such as high ropes, problem solving, rock climbing and Zip Wire! https://www.avontyrrell.org.uk/schools/activities_packages.html
2) Influencing Power – Weekend to connect with local & national campaigners and leaders such as MPs, councillors and from the media. We are also exploring a potential visit to Sky Studios in London (to be confirmed)
3) Building Power – Building your network & your campaign. Connecting with local campaigners from young people to adults to learn how to grow your following, including potentially a trip to Parliament (to be confirmed)
4) Creating change – Delivering your campaign and leading change. Potential day with The Royal Navy
There will also be meet ups in between the months & independent work on your campaign to be carried out. But don’t worry, you have our full support. Each weekend will be full of fun activities and challenges too.
What are the dates?
There are two cohorts to choose from. Each cohort only has 15 spaces available.
Weekend 1: 17th – 19th February (2 night residential)
Weekend 2: 1st & 2nd April
Weekend 3: 10th & 11th June
Weekend 4: 8th & 9th July
Weekend 1: 24th – 26th February (2 night residential commencing after 4pm on the Friday)
Weekend 2: 15th & 16th April
Weekend 3: 24th & 25th June
Weekend 4: 22nd & 23rd July
Timings roughly 10-3.30pm each day except residential
So, what do I get out of it?
- Exclusive opportunities to connect with inspirational leaders within their respective field.
- A free, 2 night residential, packed with exciting activities.
- A platform to elevate your chosen campaign and a chance to make a different within your community
- A unique chance to develop your skills such as Leadership, Networking, Communication, Project management and planning, problem solving and more
- A chance to meet new friends or attend with friends who are also Student Leaders.
- Free snacks and refreshments each weekend
How do I apply?
Click the link below to head straight to the application form. Spaces on this fellowship are very competitive and very limited, so please ensure your application is of a high standard.
If you have any more questions, please contact Katie on [email protected] or call or text her on 07776 256064.
Deadline for applications is Wednesday 8th February 2023 at midnight.
* If you are currently 17 years old, to be able to participate in the programme, you must not be turning 18 before 27th February 2023.