Aged between 15 – 19 and living in a PO or SO postcode? We have an exciting & once in a lifetime opportunity for you!
*Aged 15 by 31st August 2022
Our Inspiring Change programme will put YOU in the driving seat to make a difference in your community by tackling youth violence. Through a residential weekend with team building activities like laser tag, murder mystery challenges and initiative tests to skills building workshops, you will be in a team where you will design and deliver your own Social Action Project. It could be anything from a social media campaign educating others on the dangers of carrying a knife or working with a local primary school to run anti-bullying workshops. However you want to tackle youth violence, this programme will give you the opportunity to do so!
So how does it work?
Running from April – December, the programme is delivered over 4 phases, each being kick started with an immersive weekend!
Phase 1 – Understanding Violence/Creating Change (April)
- To kick start Phase 1, we are putting on a 1 night residential at Fort Purbrook!!
- Get to know your team mates by taking part in activities like initiative tests, laser tag, apprentice style cooking challenges, Unloc olympics and potentially even a murder mystery challenge! Forget about the stress of school/college/uni, meet new friends and have a laugh!
- Start to understand ‘youth violence’ and how the rest of the programme will look.
Phase 2 – Exploring Social Action & Project Planning (July)
- This weekend will be based in either Portsmouth or Southampton (TBC) and this weekend you will start to plan your projects in your mini project team
- We will utilise the research of youth violence from a group of young people to see what is prominent in your community and how you can make a difference
- We are also looking at arranging an educational visit to the Youth Magistrates Court to understand the types of youth violence cases that are coming through the courts.
- Take part in ‘understanding your community’ workshop to explore youth violence in your community
- Take part in ‘leading change’ workshops to learn what Social Action is and what a good social action project looks like
Phase 3 – Creating Impact (September)
- This weekend will see your team confirm your social action project and apply for your funding up to £3000 to bring your project to life!
- You will be planning and confirming logistics, partners, what you will want to spend the money on and how your project is going to work
- There will be guest speakers from experts in the field of youth violence
Phase 4 – Creating Legacy/Next Steps (November – December)
- This weekend will see you deliver your social action project and make a difference in your community!
- There may also be the chance to attend a national youth violence conference and attend a celebration event in December to celebrate your achievements with the rest of the cohorts.
What will I get out of it?
- A project branded hoodie!
- Skills for life such as Communication, Project Planning, Leadership, Team Work, Time management, budgeting to take with you to college applications, university applications or job applications.
- Project planning practice for your dissertation project
- A certificate of achievement to add to your portfolio.
- All the food and refreshments for each weekend included!
What are the dates?
We have 3 different cohorts available to suit your current commitments. They are:
Weekend 1 – 9/10th April (residential weekend)
Weekend 2 – 9/10th July
Weekend 3 – 3/4th September
Weekend 4 – 15/16th October
Weekend 1 – 23/24th April (residential weekend)
Weekend 2 – 16/17th July
Weekend 3 – 17/18th September
Weekend 4 – 22/23rd October
Weekend 1 – 30 April/1st May (residential weekend)
Weekend 2 – 23/24th July
Weekend 3 – 24/25th September
Weekend 4 – 29th/30th October
Saturday 3rd December
So how do I sign up?
We only have limited places available and they are filling up fast, so click the link below to take you to our short and simple application form to secure your place! Do not miss out on this once in a lifetime opportunity!!