Life Beyond Hills
How can you best prepare yourself for life after Hills?
This is the key question that needs to be considered for this tutorial session. Work through the videos, images and articles on this page including completing the Teams form available in the usual way before your formal tutorial session. There are prompt questions to help guide your thinking. You may choose to have the form open whilst you do this in order to make notes of your thoughts as you progress.
- How aware were you of Stephen Lawrence before preparing for this tutorial?
This short film examines attitudes towards identity, diversity and immigration in British society before the murder of Stephen Lawrence.
- Do you recognise the attitudes displayed in the video?
- How different (or not) do you feel things are today?
Legacy - Policing in Britain
In the Summer of 1997, the Home Office announced a judicial inquiry to be led by Sir William Macpherson, a retired high court judge. The inquiry found the police to be ‘institutionally racist’. In total, the inquiry made 70 recommendations to the government. The Home Office says 66 of these have been fully or partly implemented.
- What do you think of the recommendations?
- How much change do you think there has really been?
Legacy - Stephen Lawrence Day
In 2018, Prime Minister Theresa May announced that “Stephen Lawrence Day” would be an annual national commemoration of his death on 22 April every year. Doreen Lawrence made a statement that Stephen Lawrence Day would be “an opportunity for young people to use their voices and should be embedded in our education and wider system regardless of the government of the day”. Watch this video and click through to the website to find out more.
- Why is it important to remember Stephen Lawrence?
- What difference can you make?